Sunday, May 30, 2010

Day 10











Today as we left our motel we wondered what adventure would be in store for us.
Our first stop was one we had forgotten to put on our list - the petrified forest. After finding out it was a hiking park and not suitable for anyone with any kind of disability we stayed and chatted for a few minutes with one of the rangers. We told her about our adventure last night and she told us another byway to try - this one paved roads for about five miles and then a walk in a canyon, so off we went to Boulder, Utah and a little side trip.
So off we went to see what a paved road would look like. It was a super highway compared to last night but was a little different than we thought - we drove over 25 miles and the pavement kept on going. The road went over mountains and through gullies most of the hill work being one lane wide with no guard rails. Not sure if Tom noticed I wasn't clutching the door or my seat but was snapping pictures and enjoying myself. Most of these pictures are taken from Burr Trail and I've included them because I still can't get over seeing a white mountain or an orange one for that matter. And, of course, both colours together! The cliffs were straight up on either side of us but wasn't the most hair raising experience for Tom today.
After we left the byway we started a winding trek towards central Utah trying to get a little further away from the areas where everyone goes on a long weekend. Thought we might have better luck with a hotel as well. Anyway, as usual we got off the main road and found other lesser used roads going in basically the same direction and came across a delightful few miles that saw us reach the top of the mountain range and instead of coming back down the road led along the top of the range with sheer drops on both sides not just one. Tom wasn't very excited about having no cliff way to cling to. lol He says he wouldn't want to do that again. I don't have any pictures from that stretch - firstly my downward pictures don't turn out very well and secondly I was helping Tom by watching the road with him. I wasn't as afraid as I thought I would be, guess all I need is to feel useful.
Tonight we're in Nephi with mountains (snow covered) all around us and we're in our jackets again. Actually we've been in our jackets the last couple of days as Tom likes to be high lol. We've been over 10,000 feet a lot of the time.
We're right in Morman country and I included a picture of a church from a small town we drove through this afternoon. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment