Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 11











These pictures are in reverse order to our day. So this first picture is for a little boy, actually our grandson Clark, who loves "Cars" and as soon as we saw this car right after we left the motel we knew we had to get a picture of Doc Hudson :)
We had yet another gorgeous day today and tried to make the most of it. Tom had our first byway drive lined up just outside of the town where we stayed last night so it didn't take us long to reach it. It was a lovely valley drive and then a climb up yet another narrow, guardrailess, steep climb up one side of a mountain with breathtaking views all the way. We got to the top and took a short walk to the overview of Devil's Kitchen. We never did figure out why the name but the red spikey hills are from there. We also discovered that the road was closed the rest of the way due to snow.
Seemingly Utah got dumped on last week so we are changing our plans for what we will be seeing as most of the byways in northern Utah and Colorado will be closed.
Our next byway was Little Cottonwood Canyon - beautiful again with a lovely little stream running along it all the way and people skiing at the resorts. Again the top of the road was closed due to snow so we turned around and came back out.
From there we drove to Salt Lake City to see the Mormon Temple. My Google map knew exactly where we were to go but without it we didn't so Tom suggested we put the city name into the gps and go from there. I was amazed at such a stupid suggestion but didn't verbalize it that way to Tom and did as I was told. lol Well my husband must know something I don't because when the gps told us we were there we were 1 1/2 blocks from where we wanted to go. Tom could actually see where we were heading. My husband is brilliant! And since he'll be proofreading this I want him to know that I won't even question the next time he suggests something I think is rediculous. lol We've included some pictures we took of the compound - it takes up about six city blocks and is all walled in. It's all made of white granite. The temple itself (the big one) has walls 9 feet thick at the bottom and 6 feet thick at the top. I hadn't been too crazy about going to see it but glad we did as it's an eye opener!
|After having our first tiff (it wasn't a fight) trying to get out of the city and Tom being all stressed out we finally found our way to our next byway Big Cottonwood Canyon. This too was a beautiful sight of mountains, snow and flowing water. Again we had to turn around due to road closure and on the way back down we found a spot where water was coming out of the rock like there was a tap turned on. Unfortunately no picture as Tom didn't stop and I wasn't fast enough with the camera. I need more practice at this. lol
Tonight we're in a small town called Heber which is right nhext to the place where they had the downhill events at the winter olympics held in Salt LLake City. We have a lovely room tonight with both a king size bed and a hot tub - wow and I even got to eat today.

No comments:

Post a Comment