Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 19

Well it was bound to happen sometime on this holiday - we slept in. We're usually up shortly after 6 to get a good start on the day and we did wake up at that time but I suggested we have one more cuddle before getting up and the next thing we knew we were waking up and it was almost 8. We got a free hot breakfast with our room so it was after nine before we hit the road.
This is Black Canyon Gunnison National Park and is quite an amazing place. They offer views from the top and then a special treat for those brave enough to try it :)

The canyon is about 2,000 feet deep and has been cut by the Gunnison River - seen way below.
Tom took this picture to show me how to take a picture. I couldn't believe when I saw the leaves and realized that Gerber Daisies grow in the wild here in Colorado. Well maybe not the bright colours but the yellow is pretty. Yes, and I did tell Tom he took a great picture. Yes better than mine. lol

Just a few more pictures to show you it really was a long way down and this special treat may not be food. lol
You guessed it, they also have a lower road to take you to the bottom of the canyon. 2,000 feet below where we were standing. I askede Tom if there was a road along the canyon bottom and after checking the map we'd been given he told me that once you got to the bottom the road went just a little way and then ended. He said 'you turn around at that point and drive back up'. l To tell the truth I wondered if it was worth the time :)
You guessed it, down the lower road we went. I told Tom that I thought God was bigger than any fear and He was and is. I actually enjoyed a 16 percent grade for 5 miles marveling at the rock face and steepness of the road.



There really was a river at the bottom and now we can start the drive back up. Some of the turns were so sharp they had mirrors attached to posts at the side of the road so you could see if anyone was coming the other way.
I took this picture to show you Tom's new way of wearing his hat. lol Actually he burned his right ear and I suggested he wear his hat sideways to protect this ear when the roof is open LOL.
On our way to Canon City we passed this reservoir that went on for miles and I actually got one picture without the guardrails. lol
We drove up and through Monarch Pass and 1 hour later we were still driving downhill.
What you can't see in this picture is that the Arkansas River is also in this canyon. Later on the canyon widened enough for a railway track as well.
Tomorrow we're hoping to go horseback riding, think I'll get insect repellant before going - they have gnats here that bite.
So we're in Canon City tonight and seem to have picked the wrong place for the night, there are Tornado warnings out for this area. I told Tom at supper time that it was clouding up and was starting to look like rain. lol
More adventures tomorrow
Just before posting this they reported the storm front seems to have passed to the east of us.

3 comments:

  1. dad could always wear sunscreen on his ears so he doesn't look goofy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Tom going gangsta style! beautiful pictures it is fun to see your journey! i think you should make a google map and post it to show us where you've all been at this point! :)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were on the computer this morning and Clark said he wanted to see Nana and Papa. That's how you know you've been gone too long, when your grandson thinks you live in the computer:)

    ReplyDelete