Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 24

We woke up this morning to the sound of pouring rain and knew we were in for another wet day so snuggled down for a bit of a sleep in. When we got up at 7:30 the rain had stopped and we had high hopes for a dry, safe trip over the pass and into Estes Park. Then Tom decided to look outside and our ho9pes were dashed - it was snowing. June 13 and snow is just an oxymoron in our language but I guess not in Colorado. lol
After talking to other travellers in the motel we discovered that they had to shut down the top pass yesterday due to snow storms up there so there didn't seem any hope of it being open today so we backtracked and found another route to take and bypassed Estes Park.

This is what Tom saw when he looked outside at our car
These shots were all taken as we headed south to get out of the snow and onto some good roads. We went from snow to rain and then back to snow again with blizzard like conditions at times. The plows were out on the mountains dealing with slush build up but didn't help with visibility.


I know I mentioned the other day about there being some things I love, well obviously I can add one more thing - evergreens with snow on them.
Don't think I did too bad capturing the essence of our morning. Does this mean I win today's contest Tom
Not only did I throw this in as a tunnel shot (too bad they put lights on) but this was our only break from bad weather.
Finally, we left the mountains behind and found farm country. I think the Lord knew how hard it would be for us leaving the mountains behind so He gave us weather that we were thrilled to be on level ground again.
The change from high peaks to farming country is quick and very interesting. This land is desert but is irrigated. We saw corn, alfalfa, soybeans and wheat. We also saw feedlots that covered about 100 acres (Tom's attempt at a picture didn't turn out, oh, I guess that means I win today's contest).
We drove in rain off and on all day, mainly on. Tonight we're hunkered down in McCook, Nebraska and it is at least 10 degrees warmer here but since we checked in it has started to pour down and we've just learned they have storm warnings out for tonight. Go figure, we can sure pick them lol.

1 comment:

  1. snow! what a great opportunity to test out your all wheel drive capibilities. ;)

    ReplyDelete